Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent- I did it and it works!

We have hard water and I was getting frustrated at how the dishes were coming out.  They looked just as dirty after washing.  Our dishwasher is at least 12 years old and I thought I would have to replace.  I decided to try online to find some alternatives.  

Yea!  I found a recipe for dishwasher detergent online, OK I found several.  I just went ahead and gave it a try.


I used
1c Borax
1 c Super Washing Soda
1/4 c Kosher Salt
2 packs of Kool-Aid Lemonade unsweetened- if you use any other kind it will stain your dishwasher.  I used this in place of Citric acid as I could not find in my local stores.


Mix all together in a large container.  I found a pitcher at the local family dollar store.  It has a good seal on the top to prevent moisture from getting in the container.  This is important as the mix may clump.  Just break the clumps a part.  Make sure you thoroughly mix all the ingredients. 

You just need to use 1 tablespoon.  I sprinkled some in the pre-wash compartment and the rest in the wash compartment.  Since I still had some rinse agent in the dishwasher, I poured a cap full of white vinegar in the bottom of the washer. 

My son unloaded the dishwasher and asked me what I switched to.  I told him I made it and he said he noticed the difference, there were less water spots and white residue on the dishes.  Another Bonus, the dishwasher was not always draining properly after the final rinse and dry times.  Since using this detergent, my dishwasher doesn't seem to have rinse water remaining.

I don't have any agreement or anything to do with the following sites.  I used these as a reference for the recipe.  I do not support personally share of agree with any of the opinions that are on these sites.  I am Switzerland.
Sites referenced:
http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2011/07/12/homemade-dishwasher-soap/
http://theedwardsedition.blogspot.com/2011/10/homemade-dishwasher-detergent.html

 The last thing to do....get out my vinyl and my cricut to make a label for the container. 
I just love it when a plan comes together and I can use my Cricut!

No comments:

Post a Comment